Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Spring Street Character

Here is an old Sewing Workshop pattern, the Spring St Shirt that I made back in 2003. So long ago that I cannot remember anything about it.



There are a number of characteristics that appeal to me. The sweet collar is the best feature,


I like the curved hem at center front.



And the wide straight sleeves are narrowed with a loop and button.




The fabric is a light weight Japanese cotton - almost voile but opaque. I love the print. I bought mine from Marcy Tilton, but I think that Louise Cutting and Linda Lee have it too. It is a very soft fabric and should be comfortable to wear even during July in the southeastern US.



The buttons are polymer clay, I think. A little short of fabric, I used another light weight cotton print for facings. 

This style may be a little dated. It had slightly dropped shoulders that I adjusted so that the sleeve seam falls pretty close to my natural shoulder line. And it is a little long, maybe. Perhaps I should shorten it?



I hope to adapt the details I like to another shirt, perhaps one that is more current looking. But I'll still enjoy wearing this 2015 version. It's the perfect fabric for 97F.




11 comments:

  1. I don't remember ever seeing that pattern, but that collar is GREAT! The fabric is so pretty. I keep saying I'm going to order some Japanese cotton, but haven't just yet. Love that purple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it as is, but then, I'm old and don't know or care what's current--just know it looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many nice details on this pattern! And the color is so pretty on you, looks fresh with the white pants. I like the length, being tunic-crazy. Pretty neat that you still have patterns from 2003. I moved so many times for work and so on, that mine seemed to disappear like socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This shirt is perfect! Everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy does that look great on you. The fit is perfect! And the color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shirt. Looks great! I made one in silk - still have it but have not worn it in eons
    Marcia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very beautiful shirt, Martha, and a wonderful use of that interesting Japanese cotton!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it--the color, the fabric and the style. Tunics are my thing. I agree with Wendy, in my 'seasoned' years, I'm more concerned about what looks good on me. "Fashions fade, style is eternal" Yves Saint Laurent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is a perfect shirt for you. I love the length, and the collar...as well as your use of 2 fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tunics, too! Wish that pattern was still available. Don't change a thing - it looks beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cool, quirky yet versatile top! Thanks for this idea on how to design clothes online.

    ReplyDelete